What to see and do in Mülheim



The Zeche Humboldt was producing coal by 1780. It was closed in the 1920s and its grounds are now used for the Rhein-Ruhr Zentrum.

In 1912, the (current-) Max Planck Institut for Kohlenforschung (institute for research into coal) was founded.

In the 1960s, Mülheim received the claim to be the first Ruhr town to have no steel works or coal mines. As a part of the required economic restructuring, the Rhein Ruhr Zentrum was opened in 1973.


The "church hill" was a centerpoint of early Mülheim.

Petrikirche, M¨lheim

The protestant Petrikiche can claim to date back in its original form to over 1,000 years ago
Marienkirche, M¨lheim

The Catholic Church of Mariae Geburt (Marienkirche) was built in 1928/29.



Tersteegenhaus (Tersteegen House), M¨lheim

Schloss Brioch


The Schloss Broich is announced by some parties as being the oldest fortification in the German-speaking lands. Its origins date back to an installation built adjacent to where the Hellweg led over a ford across the River Ruhr, seemingly to protect the area from Viking predation. It was later reinforced during the times of Charlemagne before passing eventually into the gift of the Archbishop of Köln.



Kunstmuseum (art gallery)



  • The River Ruhr

    Mülheim is effectively the only large town in the Ruhr District to actually lie on the Ruhr, in the sense that the Ruhr flows through its center. Before the arrival of the railways, the early coal industry in Essen was connected to Mülheim via the Aktienstraße (which still retains that name today).

    Haus Ruhrnatur

    The Haus Ruhrnatur is located in a former boathouse and deals with ecology and biology in the Ruhr valley

    Haus Ruhrnatur, Mülheim


    Stadthalle, Mülheim

    The Stadthalle is a culture and conference center lying on the banks of the Ruhr.

    People associated with Mülheim

    August Thyssen, From 1871, he built up an empire based in Mulheim, although with mines and factories all over - the largest was the "Gewerkschaft Deutscher Kaiser" mine in Hamborn, Duisburg. In the 20's he became a leading light in Vereinigte Stahlwerke (26% share).

    Friedrich Thyssen, son of August. A very early supporter of the Nazi party (from 1923), he appareantly started to become disillusioned late in the day and left Germany in 1940 intending to go to Argentina, only to get caught in Belgium by the German military advance. He spent the war mostly in concentration camps, reaching Argentina after the war.

    Karl Ziegler, director of the Mülheim based Max Planck Institute for Coal Research received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1963.