First flew on 8. December 1945, it was designed as a practical utility helicopter.Apart from its military use, it was the first civil type which was allowed to be sold commercially.
It entered the Army in 1947, and came into its own in the Korean War serving with MASH units.
Over 5.000 were built, until 1973.
It was license-built by Westland as the C47-G. This was actually under sub-license from Agusta of Italy sem.