St Pierre

It spire is 72 meters high, and is a landmark over the plain surrounding Caen.

The clock tower was originally built in 1308, but this spire has been destroyed twice. In 1563, it was felled by a cannonshot intended for the chateau (in 1562, its windows had been destroyed). And in 1944, it was hit by a shell from the British ship Rodney.

Building was started in the 13. Century and finished in the 16. Century. In 1793, it became a Temple of Reason.

The photo is an old picture showing the Odon, which used to flow on two sides of the church (The Odon is now covered within central Caen).